[Loch-Ruadh] Speaking Forsoothly - Daily Lesson 5

Achrann normaljeanne at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 28 09:51:28 PDT 2006

You know I'm gonna end up shouting, "How now, Brown Cow!"

  :)

Pádraig Ruad Ó Maolagáin <padraig_ruad at irishbard.org> wrote:
  Daily Lesson 5

Greetings and Farewells
Rather than using the standard "hello" and "goodbye", or the more informal
"hi" and "bye" (or worse, "wassup" and "later"), try some of the
following:
"Greetings!"
"Good morrow!"
"Fair day!"
"Good morn/day/even!" (depending, of course, on time of day)
"How fare ye?"
"How now, milady/milord?"
"Farewell!"
"Fare thee well!"
"God be with ye!" (from which comes our modern "goodbye")
"Safe journey!" (to those who are traveling)
"I bid thee adieu!"

Shakespearian Word/Phrase of the Day:
Belike - probably
"Belike, 'tis naught more than a loose shutter that doth rattle with
the wind."

Nunc est bibendum.