[Loch-Ruadh] Fw: Gamberson construction

j_greywolf at earthlink.net j_greywolf at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 7 08:46:45 PST 2006

my lady just wanted a few more   measurements    she said that she needed
the   size of the folds  in inches  or what ever it was measured in
wolfie

Lord j_greywolf at earthlink.net
to the kingdom and ,
the one from who all blessings flow

<loch-ruadh at lists.ansteorra.org>
> Date: 12/7/2006 8:34:28 AM
> Subject: Re: [Loch-Ruadh] Fw:  Gamberson construction
>
> and folks wonder why I don't sew?!?!?
>
> Steve Rourke <steverourke at charter.net> wrote:  Forwarded from a Lochac
list

> an interesting statement from history.....
>
> >From the Ordinances of Louis XI of France (1461-1483)
>
> And first they must have for the said Jacks, 30, or at least 25 folds of
cloth and a stag's skin; those of 30, with the stag's skin, being the best
cloth that has been worn and rendered flexible, is best for this purpose,
and these Jacks should be made in four quarters. The sleeves should be as
strong as the body, with the exception of the leather, and the arm-hole of
the sleeve must be large, which arm-hole should be placed near the collar,
not on the bone of the shoulder, that it may be broad under the armpit and
full under the arm, sufficiently ample and large on the sides below. The
collar should be like the rest of the Jack, but not too high behind, to
allow room for the sallet. This Jack should be laced in front, and under
the opening must be a hanging piece [porte piece] of the same strength as
the Jack itself. Thus the Jack will be secure and easy, provided that there
be a doublet [pourpoint] without sleeves or collar, of two folds of cloth,
that shall be only four
>  fi
> ngers br
> oad on the shoulder; to which doublet shall be attached the chausses.
Thus shall the wearer float, as it were, within his jack and be at his
ease; for never have been seen half a dozen men killed by stabs or arrow
wounds in such Jacks, particularly if they be troops accustomed to
fighting."