[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History January 7 Sorry it's late

Steve K. Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Mon Jan 9 09:33:10 PST 2006

Births

1528 Jeanne d'Albret queen of Navarra/mother of French King Henry IV
1539 Sebastián de Covarrubias Horozco Spanish lexicographer

Deaths

0312 Lucianus of Antioch theologist/saint, dies
1130 Baldricus Burgoliensis French historian/archbishop, dies at about 83
1285 Charles I of Anjou king of Naples/brother of King Louis IX, dies at 58
1325 Dionysius the justified, King of Portugal (1279-1325), dies
1451 Amadeus VIII last anti-pope Felix V (1439-49), dies at 67
1529 Peter Vischer the Old, German count of Sebaldus, dies
1536 Catherine of Aragon 1st wife of England's King Henry VIII, dies
1537 Alessandro de' Medici Italian monarch of Florence, assassinated
1566 Ludovicus Blosius [Louis de Blois "Dacrianus"], wrtier, dies
1590 Jacob Andreae German theologist (Formulae Concordiae), dies at 61
1591 Jacobus de Kerle French/Flemish composer, dies at about 59
1598 Theodorus I [Fedor Ivanovitch], czar of Russia (1584-98), dies at 40

Other Events

0754 Pope Stefanus II arrives in Ponthion
1325 Afonso IV succeeds Dionysius as king of Portugal
1450 In Scotland, the University of Glasgow was founded
1558 Calais, last English possession in France, retaken by French under
Francois, Duke of Guise
1566 Antonio Michaele Ghislieri is elected Pope Pius V
1579 England signs an offensive & defensive alliance with the Netherlands
1584 Last day of the Julian calendar in Bohemia & Holy Roman empire
1598 Boris Godunov seizes the Russian throne on death of Feodore I
1601 Robert, Earl of Essex leads revolt in London against Queen Elizabeth