[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History March 26

Steve K. Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Sun Mar 26 17:20:50 PST 2006

Born:
1479 Vasili III great prince of Moscow (1505-33)/son of Ivan III
1516 Konrad von Gesner Zürich Switzerland, naturalist (Bibliotheca
Universalis)
1577 Elisabeth of Nassau daughter of Willem I & Charlotte of Bourbon

Deaths:
0752 Pope Stephen II dies only 4 days after his election (or 25th)
0809 Liudger missionary/1st bishop of Münster/saint, dies at about 66
1258 Floris the Guardian, count-regent of Holland, dies
1350 Alfonso XI King of Castile & León, dies
1546 Thomas Elyot British diplomat, dies
1566 Antonio de Cabezon composer, dies

Other Events:
1027 John XIX crowns Conrad II the Salier Roman German emperor
1147 Jewish community in Cologne fast to commemorate anti-Jewish violence
1150 Tichborne family of Hampshire England started tradition of giving a
gallon of flour to each resident to keep deathbed promise
1526 King François I returns Spanish captivity to France
1534 Lübeck accept free Dutch ships into East Sea