[Loch-Ruadh] Fw: [Elfsea] New Fighter's Collegium in the Metroplex

Dana sca004 at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 23 09:50:34 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Carter" <slotshot at sbcglobal.net>
To: "Barony of Elfsea" <elfsea at lists.ansteorra.org>
Cc: "Carl Chipman" <chipman1 at swbell.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:11 AM
Subject: [Elfsea] New Fighter's Collegium in the Metroplex

Announcing
  the Re-Opening of
  the Fighter's Collegium

     What is the Collegium?
7 years ago there existed a large group of fighters that met weekly to train
in a structured and organized atmosphere.
Great effort was put into individualized training in both fundamental and
advanced fighting concepts.  Fighters were organized into skill groups and
progressed from class-to-class as their fighting ability advanced.  This was
an excellent training venue for fighters of all levels, and a really fun
time as well.  A strong case could be made that these classes greatly
assisted the elevation of 2 Knights and many, many Centurions.

     Why do we need to re-open this venue?    Elfsea has produced some of
the best fighters in the Kingdom (to be honest, perhaps even the world).
That is a very good thing.  However,  in the pursuit of excellence we can
lose  focus regarding assisting less-experienced, or new, fighters acheive
to theri maximum potential.  This is an effort to re-focus ourselves on the
Metroplex fighting community as a whole.  We wish to promote the idea of a
place that fighters of all skill levels can come and train or be trained as
efficiently and effectively as possible.

     When/where does it officially start?
Now.  Currently it will be on Wednesdays at 7:00 pm sharp.  This time may
shift a bit if we are able to train a larger amount of fighters on a
different night.  It will be at Bedford Boys Ranch, in Bedford, TX.

     Who are the trainers?
Initially, Duke Drake and Sir Asoph Hartz will serve as the primary
trainers.  However, we very much hope to attract
other excellent instructors from around the area.  In the long run, the
answer to this question is YOU.  You will be provided the highest quality
training available AND will eventually be experienced and expert enough to
lead classes as well.  We don't want to solely train "hot sticks", we want
to train teachers and war commanders as well.  HG Drake, and several
assistant instructors, will be primarily responsible for the instruction of
Ansteorran sword and sheild fighting.  This will include all relevant
footwork, stance, defense and offense.  Sir Asoph will instruct in all other
weapons forms (along with footwork, etc... appropriate to these forms) and
melee tactics/strategies.  They are both recognized experts in their areas
of expertise.

     How are the classes structured?
Initially, you will be placed with a group based on your skill level and
experience.  You will be trained in a very organized fashion until you have
mastered the subjects required for that skill level.  You will then advance
to the next class, to begin working on a different set of skills for
mastery.  Of course, after you have a firm feeling for the basics, we will
also work on your endurance on the fighting feild as well.  This will be
very reminiscent of a structured dojo
environment.

     How much will this training cost?
Nothing.  Well, let me rephrase that...all we ask is that you pay attention.

  If this interests you, please reply to this e-mail and we will provide you
more specific information.  In the first version of this Collegium, it was
VERY successful in quickly advancing the fighting skill of the 15 or so
fighters who attended regularily.  We are extremely interested in bringing
in other members of the Chivalry to equally partner with in this
undertaking.

  In Service,

  Duke Drake
  Sir Asoph