[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History May 12

Steve K. Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Thu May 11 22:13:15 PDT 2006

Born:

Deaths:
0912 Leo VI Sophos Byzantine Emperor (886-912), dies at 45
1003 Gerbert French scholar, dies in Rome
1003 Sylvester II [Gerbert van Aurillac], 1st Fren Pope (999-1003), dies
1012 Sergius IV [Pietro Crescentii], Italian Pope (1009-12), dies
1382 Johanna I Queen of Naples/Provence, dies

Other Events:
0254 St Stephan I replaces Lucius I as Catholic Pope According to the "Liber
Pontificalis," it was Stephen who instituted the rule that clerics should
wear special clothes at their ministrations.
0919 Duke Henry of Saxon becomes king Henry I of Oostfrankische rich
1082 Battle at Mailberg: Vratislav II of Bohemia beats Leopold II of Austria
1215 English barons serve ultimatum on king John without Country
1310 Fifty-four Knights Templars were burned at the stake as heretics in
France. Established during the Crusades to protect pilgrims traveling to the
Holy Land, this military order came into increasing conflict with Rome until
Clement V officially dissolved it in 1312 at the Council of Vienna.
1328 Louis IV de Beier selects P Rainalducci as anti-Pope Nicolaas V
1459 Sun City India founded by Rao Jodhpur
1525 Battle at Böblingen: Zwabische Union beats rebel Württembergse farmers
1534 Württemberg becomes Lutheran
1551 San Marcos University in Lima Peru, opens
1588 Catholic League under duke Henri de Guise occupies Paris France