[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History May 29

Steve K. Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Sun May 28 22:42:22 PDT 2006

Births:

Deaths:
1453 Constantine XI Dragases last Byzantine Emperor, dies at 49
1500 Bartholomeu Diaz de Narvaez (Novaez) Portuguese sea explorer, drowns
1544 Jacobus Latomus [Jasques Masson] Belgian inquisitor, dies at about 68
1546 Cardinal Beaton English archbishop of St Andrews, murdered
1593 John Penry English congressionalist, executed

Other Events:
0526 Antioch struck by Earthquake; about 250,000 die
0757 St Paul I begins his reign as Catholic Pope
1138 Anti-Pope Victor IV (Gregorio) overthrows self for Innocentius II
1167 Lombard League defeat Frederick Barbarossa at Battle of Legnano
1176 Battle at Legnano: Lombardi League beats Frederik Barbarossa
1415 Council of Konstanz
1453 Constantinople falls to Muhammad II (Turks); ends Byzantine Empire
1453 French banker Jacques Coeurs possessions confiscated
1506 Earl Willem I van Nassau-Dillenburg weds countess Walburg van Egmont
1576 Spanish army under Mondragón conquerors Zierik sea