[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History May 31

Steve K. Rourke srourke at hotmail.com
Tue May 30 23:16:07 PDT 2006

Births:
1469 Manuel I king of Portugal (1495-1521) during era of exploration
1472 Erardus van der Mark prince-bishop of Luik/cardinal
1557 Theodorus I (Fedor Ivanovitsj) czar of Russia (1584-98)

Deaths:
0455 Petronius Maximus senator/Emperor of Rome, lynched
1091 Hendrik van Verdun bishop of Luik (1075-91), dies
1198 Moses ben Solomon Ha-Cohen rabbi of Mainz, dies
1504 Engelbert II earl of Nassau-Dillenburg-Dietz, dies
1551 Aristotele "Basiano" da Sangallo Italian set designer, dies
1567 Péreguin de la Grange French minister/martyr of Reform, dies
1594 Tintoretto Italian Mannerist painter, dies at 75

Other Events:
0070 Rome captures 1st wall of the city of Jerusalem
1417 Jacoba van Bavarian becomes countess of Holland/Zealand/Henegouwen
1495 Emperor Maximilian, Pope Alexander VI, Milan, King Ferdinand, Isabella
& Venice sign anti-French Saint League
1531 "Women's Revolt" in Amsterdam: wool house in churchyard aborted
1564 Battle on Gotland: Lübeck & Denmark beat Sweden
1578 Italian archaeologist Antonio Bosio became the first man in modern
times to rediscover the Christian catacombs in Rome. Researchers (e.g.,
Giovanni B. de Rossi) who followed him dubbed Bosio "the Columbus of the
Catacombs."