[Loch-Ruadh] Gas Bargain

Pádraig Ruad Ó Maolagáin padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Fri May 19 10:41:01 PDT 2006

It's not that additives are no longer required, jus that the required
additives have been changed.  Congress mandated that the additive MTBE
could no longer be used (after mandating several years ago that it must be
used) and that ethanol be used as a substitute.  When they decided this,
ethanol production facilities in the US were producing only about 50% of
what was needed to fill the new demand, and oil companies and gasoline
distributors had to rework existing facilities and even build new
facilities to handle the new required mixtures.  Plus, to protect domestic
ethanol producers like Archer Daniels Midland, Congress won't allow
cheaper ethanol to be imported from South America.  And just this morning
they voted to keep the offshore drilling ban in place.

Unhappy about your gas prices?  Thank the United States Congress.

Nunc est bibendum.
Politicians prefer unarmed peasants.