[Loch-Ruadh] sewing machine recommendation

Gwen/Avin avinfunyet at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 19:58:28 PST 2006

When time to make the decision to purchase a machine (regardless of brand),
I would suggest checking on the return policy before taking it out of the
shop. My Singer started acting up within a week of purchase. The service
center swore there was nothing wrong with the machine--after they sewed on
it (very thin "test" fabric) for about three minutes while I watched. Since
they didn't have any trouble, they wouldn't fix it. They also wouldn't take
it back or exchange it, so I was stuck with a $350 lemon, that tangled
bobbin thread every freaking time I used it, for years. My experience with
Singer beyond that (in the last 15 years) has been nothing but bad (3
different brand new machines--mine + 2 others). While I would suggest it is
possible to get a decent Singer machine, in my experience you have to find
one that is 35 years old to do so.

Before being gifted with a really really nice machine (not a Singer), I
purchased a very inexpensive Simplicity from Wally World  (to replace the
*$&^*#*%#@ Singer) for a couple of hundred dollars. My sister still uses the
Simplicity today (nearly 6 years later); it is still trouble free!!! If this
is a first-time starter machine this may be a good way to go. The best part
was knowing that if I had any trouble with it or simply didn't like the way
it ran, I could just return it to WW, no questions asked, and get the money
back. My 2¢

~HL Avin~