[Loch-Ruadh] Speaking Forsoothly - Daily Lesson 17

Pádraig Ruad Ó Maolagáin padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Tue Oct 3 14:27:20 PDT 2006

Daily Lesson 17

Some Forsooth words to use:

Wherefore – "Wherefore" means  “why”, not “where”.
     When Juliet asked “Wherefore art thou Romeo?”, she wasn’t asking him
where he was, but rather, why he was a Montague, the sworn enemies of
her family, the Capulets.  Use “wherefore” for "why", and “where”
when you mean "where".
     “Wherefore dost thou walk abroad so late in the evening?”

Mayhap – this is singular; don't say “mayhaps”.   Use this instead of
“maybe”.
     “Dost hear that sound?  Mayhap ‘tis the call of the nightingale.”

Stay – “Wait" or “pause”
     “Stay, I seem to have dropped my purse.”

Ta'en - Short for “taken” (pronounced “tane”).  Usually used to mean
"mistaken for".
     “I fear thou hast ta'en me for another, milady.”
     “Your pardon, my lord, I had ta’en that tankard for my own.”

Poppet – Dolls are sometimes referred to as poppets.  Children, especially
younger ones, can be called poppets as well.  Sometimes used as a pet
name.
     “What a beautiful poppet she is!”
     “Good morrow, poppet.  What is your name?”

Sweeting - A popular pet name used both between lovers and for children as
well.
     “How now, sweeting, hast thou scraped thine knee?”

Shakespearian Word/Phrase of the Day:
     Fash – to annoy or cause worry.
     “Let us not tell the Baroness of this; ‘twould fash her unduly.”

Nunc est bibendum.