[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History Oct 8

Steve Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Sat Oct 7 21:36:24 PDT 2006

Births:
1515 - Margaret Douglas, Countess of Lennox (d. 1578)

Deaths:
976 - Jelena of Zadar, Croatian queen
1286 - John I of Dreux, Duke of Brittany (b. 1217)
1317 - Fushimi, Emperor of Japan (b. 1265)

Other Events:
314 - Roman Emperor Licinius is defeated by his colleague Constantine I at
the Battle of Cibalae, and loses his European territories.
451 - At Chalcedon, a city of Bithynia in Asia Minor, the first session of
the Council of Chalcedon begins (ends on November 1).
1480 - Great standing on the Ugra river (was a relatively bloodless standoff
between Akhmat Khan, Khan of the Great Horde, and Grand Duke Ivan III of
Russia in 1480, which resulted in the retreat of the Tataro-Mongols and
eventual disintegration of the Horde.)
1582 - Due to the implementation of the Gregorian calendar this day does not
exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
1600 - San Marino adopts its written constitution.