[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History Oct 10

Steve Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Mon Oct 9 21:14:55 PDT 2006

Births:

Deaths:
a.. 19 - Germanicus, Roman general (b. 15 BC)
a.. 732 - Abdul Rahman Al Ghafiqi, Moorish Governor of Andalusia
a.. 833 - al-Ma'mun, Abbasid caliph of Baghdad (b. 786)
a.. 1359 - King Hugh IV of Cyprus
a.. 1459 - Gianfrancesco Poggio Bracciolini, Italian humanist and classicist (b. 1380)
a.. 1531 - Huldrych Zwingli, Swiss reformer (killed in battle) (b. 1484)

Other Events:
a.. 680 - Battle of Karbala: Shia Imam Husayn bin Ali, the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad, was decapitated by forces under Caliph Yazid I. This is commemorated by Shi'a Muslims as Aashurah.
a.. 732 - Battle of Tours: Near Poitiers, France, leader of the Franks, Charles Martel and his men, defeat a large army of Moors, stopping the Muslims from spreading into Western Europe. The governor of Cordoba, Abdul Rahman Al Ghafiqi, is killed during the battle.
a.. 1471 - Battle of Brunkeberg in Stockholm: Sten Sture the Elder, the Regent of Sweden, with help of farmers and miners, repels an attack by Christian I, King of Denmark.
a.. 1575 - Battle of Dormans: Catholic forces under Duke Henry of Guise defeated the Protestants, capturing Philippe de Mornay among others.
a.. 1582 - Due to the implementation of the Gregorian calendar this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.