[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History Sept 28

Steve Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Wed Sep 27 22:05:20 PDT 2006

Births:
551 BC - Confucius, Chinese philosopher (d. 479 BC)
58 BC - Livia Drusilla, wife of the Roman emperor Caesar Augustus (d. 29)
1493 - Agnolo Firenzuola, Italian poet
1571 - Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio, Italian artist (d. 1610)

Deaths:
48 BC - Pompey, Roman general and politician (b. 106 BC)
235 - Saint Pontianus, Pope
876 - Louis the German, King of Eastern Francia (b. 804)
935 - Wenceslaus I, Duke of Bohemia (b. 907)
1104 - Pedro I, king of Aragon and Navarre (b. 1068)
1197 - Henry VI, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1165)
1429 - Cymburgis of Masovia, wife of Duke Ernest of Austria
1582 - George Buchanan, Scottish historian (b. 1506)

Other Events:
48 BC - Pompey the Great is assassinated on orders of King Ptolemy of Egypt
after landing in Egypt (may have occurred September 29, records unclear).
351 - Battle of Mursa Major: the Roman Emperor Constantius II defeats the
usurper Magnentius.
365 - Roman usurper Procopius bribes two legions passing by Constantinople,
and proclaims himself Roman emperor.
935 - Saint Wenceslas is murdered by his brother, Boleslav I of Bohemia.
995 - Members of Slavník's dynasty - Spytimír, Pobraslav, Porej and Cáslav
are murdered by Boleslaus's son, Boleslaus II the Pious
1066 - William the Conqueror invades England: the Norman Conquest begins.
1106 - The Battle of Tinchebrai - Henry I of England defeats his brother,
Robert Curthose.
1322 - Louis IV, Holy Roman Emperor defeats Frederick I of Austria in the
Battle of Mühldorf.
1448 - Christian I is crowned king of Denmark.
1542 - Navigator Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo of Portugal arrives as what is now
San Diego, California, United States.