[Loch-Ruadh] Today in History Sept 18

Steve Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Sun Sep 17 23:11:51 PDT 2006

Burths:
53 - Trajan, Roman Emperor (d. 117)
1505 - Maria of Austria, wife of Louis II of Hungary and Bohemia (d. 1558)
1587 - Francesca Caccini, Italian composer (d. circa 1640)

Deaths:
96 - Domitian, Roman Emperor (b. 51)
887 - Pietro I Candiano, Doge of Venice (killed in battle)
1180 - King Louis VII of France (b. 1120)
1598 - Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Japanese warlord (b. 1536)

Other Events:
96 - Nerva is proclaimed Roman Emperor after Domitian is stabbed to death.
323 - Constantine the Great decisively defeats Licinius in the Battle of
Chrysopolis, establishing Constantine's sole control over the Roman Empire.
1180 - Philip Augustus becomes king of France.
1437 - Farmer uprising in Transylvania.
1454 - In the Battle of Chojnice, Polish army is defeated by Teutonic army
during the Thirteen Years' War.
1502 - Christopher Columbus lands at Costa Rica on his fourth, and final,
voyage.
1544 - Charles V of Germany and Francis I of France sign peace treaty.
1573 - Spanish attack Alkmaar.