[Loch-Ruadh] Speaking Forsoothly - Daily Lesson 16

Pádraig Ruad Ó Maolagáin padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Mon Sep 18 15:23:37 PDT 2006

Daily Lesson 14

Use “do” and “did” to add emphasis and flair.  This is generally
accomplished by inserting “do” or “did” before the verb of the sentence,
but there are some exceptions:

"I do go."
"You do wear it well."
"I do wish him godspeed."
"They do fight bravely."
”Do you take the right hand, and I the left.”
"I do think ‘twill be warm this day."
"I do love thee with all mine heart."

"I did think the chicken somewhat undercooked."
"You did build the wall most excellently."
"He did defeat a veritable host upon the field of battle."
"We did enjoy the feast right heartily."

Shakespearian Word/Phrase of the Day:
Betoken – “indicate”
“I doubt not that this morning’s red skies doth betoken storms this day.”

Nunc est bibendum.