[Loch-Ruadh] home again

CL Nurmi cnurmi at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 2 23:05:28 PDT 2007

I am so glad you all were ok
  So ok at Populas we want to hear the "So there I was fish story"
  Constance

PBW <pbw_rn at peoplepc.com> wrote:

Rob, kids and I would like to give big "thank you" to Angail, Caroll, Dana and Gwen for coming to our resuce this weekend.

On Friday the rains were much needed but made the Brazos decide it needed to overflow its banks. On Saturday the Parker County Sheriffs Dept were evacuating everyone who lived on the streets that were along the river. Saturday afternoon Ang and Mom came out in Ang's truck to help pack us and critters up to head for high ground. Caroll and Gwen stayed in Ft Worth and using portable fencing sectioned off the backyard of Ang and Carolls place so that our dogs had a place to go and be safe. Mom moved her sewing room around to make a safe place for our cats, and Gwen took in our ferrets.

On Sunday the waters started receeding and we were able to return home. The house itself had no water damage, the basement got flooded but no major damage. The storge shed got flooded and Ang and Carroll rescued the Shire Pavillon. We are home and things starting to return to normal (or what passes for normal in our house). We will have to boil water for a few days while the water company flushes the water lines (or whatever it is they do... ask Ang... she's our family water resource person!) but all considering thats not huge thing.

Words on a screen cannot begin to show or express our thanks to everyone who in this crises came to our rescue to not only make sure our family was safe but our critters were safe too.

While we all think "it happens to other people" this has proven just how much each one of us is "the other person" to someone else. Please, I urge each person reading this, no matter where you live, have some evacuation plan in place (who to call to help get you out and where you can go) and have an emergency kit on hand (bottled water, flash lights etc etc). While we thought we were prepared, and we were to some degree, we were still caught by suprise. Add to it Una's being on crutches from her recent foot surgery and being on IV antibiotics and that just made things even more urgent. Without our family (both biological and SCA) we could not have achieved the evacuation in such a timely fashion.

On a funny note you need to ask Ang, Mom and Carroll about the fish that were swimming up the street!