[Loch-Ruadh] YEEAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Kaz kaz.od.wolin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 10:41:25 PST 2007

Peter Jackson to produce 'The Hobbit'

*NEW YORK (AP) *-- Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema have reached agreement
to make J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," a planned prequel to the blockbuster
trilogy "The Lord of the Rings."

Jackson, who directed the "Rings" trilogy, will serve as executive producer
for "The Hobbit." A director for the prequel films has yet to be named.

Relations between Jackson and New Line had soured after "Rings," despite a
collective worldwide box office gross of nearly $3 billion -- an enormous
success. The two sides nevertheless were able to reconcile, with
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (MGM) splitting "The Hobbit" 50/50, spokemen for
both studios said Tuesday.

"I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so
that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line," Jackson
said in a statement. "We are delighted to continue our journey through
Middle Earth."

Two "Hobbit" films are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, similar to how
the three "Lord of the Rings" films were made. Production is set to begin in
2009 with a released planned for 2010, with the sequel scheduled for a 2011
release.

New Line Cinema is owned by Time Warner. (Time Warner is the parent company
of CNN.) Sony and Comcast are among the owners of MGM.

--
Lord Kazimierz of Loch Ruadh
(Kaz, Lord Sinister to my "friends")