[Loch-Ruadh] Nordic medieval Bread with Flax seeds??

Madelina de Lindesay lymadelina at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 1 15:34:27 PDT 2007

Your Grace,

I have made flax (also called "linseed") bread in the past for a demo in which I discussed other grains as well (millet, barley, etc.).  There are many flax recipes online, and you can purchase flax seeds from any health food store and perhaps Central Market or Whole Foods as well.  (I got mine at Richardson's Health Foods on Old Granbury Road in Fort Worth.)  Sometimes you can find flax flour as well.  For modern tastes, you can mix flax flour with white or wheat flour, though flax itself is said to have a nutty or buttery flavor.  Flax seed oil has been in common use since time out of mind, and of course, flax fibers are used to make linen.  Flax, as far as I know, has been documented to have been in use for at least 5,000 years, perhaps older.