[Loch-Ruadh] A Challenge of Gothic Proportions

Dragonetti dragonetti at generich.com
Sun Jul 15 11:17:15 PDT 2007

Greetings and felicitations, unto you, young cousin,

While tis true that I have a few years on you, I trust you did not mean to
insinuate diminished mental capacities in this *aged* cousin of yours. I
implore you to re-read my previous missive. You seem to imagine some
accusation of infidelity, that is not there. Indeed, to the contrary, I
applaud and acknowledge Her Excellency's recent elevation. (Note the capital
"M" in that missive.) However, your public displays of affection provides
fodder to those who oppose the current nobility. This just confirms my fear
that your judgment is currently compromised.

Now rest assured, cousin, that I have every faith in the fortitude of the
populace of Bonwicke and the Western region. I am blessed to number many, my
friends in the West and have rallied forces to help protect your lands on
more than one occasion. With the luxury of many months to gather your
allies, I have no doubt you can muster adequate defense. However, from a
swift invasion of an aggressive adversary, I fear your demise could be
equally swift.

Therefore, I issue you this challenge, dear cousin. I propose to bring, in a
mere six weeks time, a small contingent to your borders, with blunted
weapons, to *test* your readiness in *games* of war. If you fail or refuse
this challenge then I shall implore the crown to grant the stewardship of
those unprotected crown lands of the Western region to my care and
management. In the unlikely event that you prove yourself indeed prepared, I
shall beg your forgiveness and commission my most accomplished Bards to laud
your virtues for future generations. What say you?

I view this as my duty, honor and privilege, to do all in my power to
safeguard the Crown's lands, as I take my vows of fealty to heart. And to
those who shall join me in this noble cause, may your hearts be at ease.
There is no honor lost in hardening the steel of our fighting forces. This
endeavor is just.

So what say you, Baron Kainin? Can you put aside your gentler pursuits long
enough to reassure me?

Again, I await your swift reply.

In the service of kingdom & crown, I remain,
Baron Armand Dragonetti
Lord Elfsea