[Loch-Ruadh] Gulf War Missive - Day Two

Pádraig Ruad Ó Maolagáin padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Mon Mar 12 09:38:34 PDT 2007

Polydore and I arrived on site shortly after noon, having breakfasted in
Hattiesburg and then perused the offerings of the merchants of WalMart.
We agreed that we had the shortest wait at Troll that we have ever
experienced at War.  We came to Loch Ruadh's land to find the work of
setting up camp proceeding apace.

Once our tent space had been cleared of vehicles, we unloaded the turck
and trailer, with much help from Rolf.  With the invaluable aid of Rolf,
Alric, and Vigolf (I with my broken foot not being much assistance), the
Viking tent was soon raised, and we set about moving our belonings inside.

As darkness fell, Alex built a charcoal fire in the metal firepit, and
several of us gathered to sear meat over the flames.  Kat found that the
foil-wrapped potatoes cooked much more slowly than she expected, and
decided she would have to eat them for breakfast.

With food and drink in our bellies, I thought it time for music and got my
guitar.  Many were tired from having slept but poorly in the line party
the night before, and sought their beds much earlier than is our custom.
I did manage to draw Kat back out of her tent by singing some of her
favorite songs.  She even got up to return to bed and stepped in that
direction when I stopped her in her tracks by singing "Vergio".  She came
back to our small circle and stayed with us for several more songs.  When
the circle was finally down to just Fiona, Polydore and me, we too decide
to retire (at the ridiculously early hour of just afte 11:00pm).

The night was just cool enough to be excellent sleeping weather, and I
think everyone enjoyed a restful night's sleep.  Except for Vigolf, that
is, who complained that his mattress was too thin, and that a mysterious
whistling sound woke him aroudn 4:00am and kept him awake for half an
hour.

This morning is bright and pleasantly warm, and promises to be a beautiful
day.  We are getting the last details of camp set up and awaiting the
arrival of those who had to leave later from Loch Ruadh.  We wish that all
of you were here with us, and we promise to bring back many tales, stories
and pictures to share.

I will attempt to update this missive every morning with a brief
description of the previous day's events.

Nunc est bibendum.