[Loch-Ruadh] Weather

Pádraig Ruad Ó Maolagáin padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Fri Apr 18 11:09:02 PDT 2008

Amber and I were in Grapevine having dinner with our son when our daughter
called and told us to check the weather report on channel 4.  Amber called
our next door neighbor to see if we needed to rush home, but was told that
while there was a lot of hail (4"-6" layer of up to golfball-size
hailstones), there didn't appear to be any damage to our house.

When we got home about 11:30, Mikus Road had "snowbanks" of hail on either
side, and a carpet of leaves and twigs that had been torn from the trees
by the hail, and Arroyo Drive was much the same, with the leaf debris up
to 6" deep, maybe more in some places.  I got a flashlight and walked
around the house, but it seemed that our windows had been spared, and it
doesn't appear that there are any leaks from the roof.  The solar-powered
lights in the flowerbeds were another matter - out of 24 lights, 22 were
destroyed - and these are brand new ones that we just put in last week.

Checking things out further in the morning light, I found a broken window
in the garage that I had missed last night, so I boarded that up.  The
shingles on all the roofs are beat pretty badly and will probably have to
be replaced.  The ventilation turbines are all beat to hell, one of them
so baldly it no longer turns.  Everything in the flower beds has been
chewed up, but will hopefully recover with a few weeks growth.  The trees
all lost at least half their leaves and a lot of twigs and small to medium
sized branches - hopefully those will also recover.  Thank God for
insurance for at least some of this.

But I think I'm going to have a very busy weekend cleaning up the yard.

Nunc est bibendum.