[Loch-Ruadh] OT: Important for pet owners!!! poisonous cocoa mulch

Kevin Valliquette grimolfr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 22:13:57 PDT 2008

I realize this is an off topic post, but I feel compelled to reply. My
day job in the mundane world is in the gardening industry, and I will
confirm that this is true (although the actual numbers of reported
incidents are often greatly exaggerated) and my company does not stock
cocoa mulch, in part for this reason. As an aside, I would also
recommend against most commercially available mulches (though my
employer would probably not like me to say so), including wood mulches
of any kind. Most of them are very bad for the soil in your beds over
time. The worst is probably pecan hulls, which increases the acidity
of the soil very quickly, and can render it unable to support most
desirable plant life within just a season or two (the notable
exception being azaleas, which thrive in acidic conditions). The best
choice for mulch is compost, from your own composting efforts if
possible, or there are some commercially available bagged compost
mulches. Of those, I heartily recommend cotton burr-based compost (the
Back to Nature brand is widely available and is a fine choice).

That's all probably of only limited interest to a few, but there it
is. Now I have to make an on topic post...

-Grímólfr