[Loch-Ruadh] Feast Crossbow & Table Top Siege Competition at 12th Night 2009:

Adam Harrison concrete_donkey at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 23 08:50:56 PST 2008

If I was going to this event, I'd make a ballista out of legos, just for fun

On Dec 22, 2008, at 5:59 PM, William Black Dragon <ironwyrm at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Come one, Come all!  Join us for our annual Feast Crossbow & Table
Top Siege Competition to be held during this coming Central Regional
12th Night "CARNIVAL" Celebration!!

This year's 12th Night Revel shall be held Jan. 3rd at the Bob Duncan
Center 2800 S. Center St.  Arlington, TX  76014 in the Barony of
Elfsea.

The Italian "CARNIVAL" theme would seem to be most appropriate
for our competition since the little crossbows were banned from the
Italian court during the 1400's with the "Ladies-in Waiting" having
fallen victim to the mischievous merry prankster's foodstuff missiles!
Aye with use of our own little crossbows being banned from the
Steppes 12th Hall in 2003 it would seem history does repeat itself
after all doesn't it!?!

Our miniature missile weaponry contest not only appeals to children
but the child within each of us, and is one of our few contest where
all ages may compete equally together for the right to brag whom is
the best shot with their own mini-missile launcher!

Should you have yet to attend this most amusing & entertaining
little contest of food flinging skill you have really missed one of
the real little gems of our 12th Night activities!

So please plan to come and join us for this extremely enjoyable
and fun little feast weaponry competition!

The contest is currently planed to start at 1PM.  We'll try to leave
a sign up sheet at gate and will begin sign up on the field around
12:30PM in the park next door to site, or as soon as our "List
Babe(s)" volunteers deem sign up is ready to open.

2009 CONTEST RULES:

The competition is open to all small hand held or table top devises
constructed for the sole purpose of hurling small bits of foodstuffs
(marshmallows, grapes, cheese cubes, veggies, peanuts, etc.)
which can met the following conditions:

1) All devises will be declared within one of two categories:  "Hand
 held" - those meant to be fired while held in the hand (so called
"baby", "feast" or "mini" crossbows).  Or 'Table-top" - those meant
to be fired while sitting upon a flat surface (so called "baby", "feast",
or "mini" trebuchet, ballista, catapult or other type siege engine).

2) All feast devises must fit within a sixteen inch feast platter (or
circle) to be allowed to enter the list!

3) All string & prod powered entries (crossbow & ballisita) may not
exceed a draw weight of 10 foot pounds!

4) All entries must be capable of launching table grapes as ammo!
All ammo (grapes only) shall be supplied by the contest sponsors.
No other projectiles will be allowed for the contest!

THE COMPETITION:

- All competitors twelve years of age or under must be accompanied
by a parent or legal guardian!

- All spectators must remain behind safety ropes during the
competition!

- All contestants must compete in the competition using one "feast
weapon" only!

- All contestants must demonstrate to the attending Marshall's that
their "feast devise" is safe, in good working order, and they can
operate the devise in a safe and sane manner!

- All contestants must be ready when their names are called!  Absent
contestants shall be rotated to the bottom of the list once and only
once!  Should a contestant be declared absent a second time when
their name is called they shall be stricken from the competitors list!

- All competitors shall be allowed to pick twelve grapes, six for ranging
& practice shots and six for score.  Any grapes which fly to pieces
upon firing do count as shots, so pick your grape shot wisely!

- All contestants must remain seated at the firing line's table while
competing (no standing allowed).  All mini-siege engines must remain
upon the table while firing (no hand held siege engines allowed)!

- All grapes shot must enter the target intact to be counted (pieces of
grape do not count as a score.  Exception being should it splat on the
inner target's metal rim it shall count toward the lower points score!

- The maximum target distance shall be limited to fifteen yards!

- The competitor with the highest recorded score at the completion of the
list shall be declared the winner of the tournament!

Thanks again to House Arkham's folks for their support in sponsoring
our annual little tournament, we couldn't do it without your help!

We're looking forward to having another splattering good time and lots
of laughs again during this year's contest!  Pray come out and enjoy,
but please take note, wearing a good washable cloak is always
advisable!!

Regards,

HL William Black Dragon called "Ironwyrm"
Official Supervising "Feast Weaponry" Marshal