[Loch-Ruadh] War and Goliards

an angel in black ink angelinblackink at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 8 02:07:23 PDT 2008

Dear Lady Eleanor Cleavely,

I offer my humblest apologies to you for it seems that I have beet unclear.  I’m terribly
  afraid that I have misrepresented both myself and the Goliards to you.  I have no idea
  why else you would have drawn these erroneous assumptions.  I offer to you an
  explanation of sorts, if you will.  First I must say that your opinion is as appreciated as
  the next, even if I do not agree with them.  You see, I have said before that everyone’s
  game, Dream, Kingdom, and even opinions are something that should be considered in
  all things.  However, I am somewhat deeply hurt that you do feel that these things are
  true.

  It is very late at night but I feel that I must see this done or else dwell upon it all night.  I
  will go in order via quote:

-“Funny, that's not what you said at the Warlord Bardic when you

performed a piece that essentially stated that we who play the game

today are causing the downfall of the SCA "as it used to be". In fact,

you talked about backstabbing, politics and exhorted those in the

audience to "rise up" and "change the game". I don't know about you,

but I like the game just fine the way it is.”

...I was told that many people could not hear me at Warlord’s bardic

and so you may have misheard me.  I said even then that I wished not to

harm but to help.  Yes, my piece did speak of some of my perceived

‘problems.’  I mentioned backstabbing and politics as well as

indifference and inactivity.  What I did not say was anything about the

way people play their game.  Anyone is free to play their game as they

wish to play it.  I have a problem with knights who take advantage of

new fighters and let as women cart their things and set camp alone as

they watch.  I have a problem with artisans being told that they might

as well quit A&S if they wouldn’t play politics.  I’m also tired of

people telling me that they can’t say what they think for fear of being

politically and socially snuffed out of their beloved game.  If it is

wrong to speak against these things then I am greatly confused.  As for

urging people to “take up the flame and lead us from this night,” don’t

forget that I also said that “through love, and trust, and unity, a

kingdom we could be.”  I didn’t ask anyone to rebel against anything

but the idea, nothing more.  Is it wrong to ask people to look to

themselves and make sure they are being who they want to be?

-...As for the statement on the Goliard group, I believe Lord Nobunaga

has explained that.  I forwarded the message by his request.

-“Really? Many people? How many people from other kingdoms have you

spoken to about their obvious dissatisfaction with the game? Or is this

a mere projection of others' opinions?”

...I do not presume to speak for everyone but I do speak for some.  How

many do you speak for?  As for your question, I have spent a great deal

of time observing and gathering the opinions of quite a few people in

our kingdom and even some without.  What would be the point if I was

the only one?

-“No. That is NOT your intention, as has been stated previously. Your

intention is to cause division in a group that you and your friends,

for whatever reason, are unhappy about. You are speaking out of both

sides of your mouth, my lady, and you cannot have it both ways. In my

personal experience, if you want to change something, you don't shout

from the rooftops that people are beneath you and are cruel, mean, or

unworthy. You seek ways to change it from within by being an example

for all. You don't go around preaching rebellion. And as for the period

aspect of this little game, let me say that if you were in my Kingdom

(and yes, even in Japan), your actions would be viewed as treason. Let

me speak plainly: You and your group are committing treason. Sure, talk

with those in power about things that YOU (and not others, for you have

no power to speak for others) feel should be changed. Volunteer to help

change those aspects of the game. But the way you and your group is

going about this would be counted as treason. It is a dangerous road

you tread, my lady, whether this is a game or not.”

...I must now ask you where you get your information, especially on my

own opinions, wants, and inner motives.  What little you seem to know

about the Goliard and myself seems to be misinformed and unfounded,

based on half-truths and miscommunication.  I would ask that you speak

with me and/or the other Goliard so that you could really understand.

I have ALWAYS said that I loved Ansteorra and I have ALWAYS done my

best to see it prosper.  I have never called anyone in the SCA cruel or

mean, though I have thought and called a few unfair.  I have never said

that we should rebel against any one group or person, only unfairness.

The Goliard have been fully supporting the idea of leading by example

and fully urge everyone to do the same.

...I am afraid that I must ask you to define our acts of treason

because I have no idea what you’re talking about.  You see, in China

(not Japan), the Yu was allowed special judgment on a case to case

basis and relied heavily on both how entertaining and wise one was, but

the mood of the judging lord.  If you truly think I’ve been treasonous

then, by all means, speak with my Baron and even King if you wish but I

see no harm in what I am doing in encouraging my fellows to do what

they believe in.  If I so disliked this game as you say I do then why

would I waste so much money and time on it?  No one could afford that,

especially me.

-“I beg to differ. The whole purpose of your group is division and

destruction. I see no constructive ideas on how to change, only that

you are unhappy and seek to change the game to the way YOU want to play

it. Last I checked, this was not YOUR game. This is OUR game.”

...I must beg to differ, dear Lady.  You are simply wrong.  You have

been away for a while and must not be rightly informed.  I never told

people to change the way they play, only to find their Dream and help

others find theirs and to speak their ideas without fear of any sort.

If EVERYONE played my way, nothing would get done let alone enjoyed.

-“I suggest you think long and hard about the whys and manner of how

you all are going about this. I can guarantee that if you and your

group continue with this idea of division and rebellion, it will only

serve to cause more heartache and will not achieve your goal of

"unity".”

...I’m terribly sorry you feel this way, as I have said before.  You

are entitled to feel that way but I am entitled to feel the way I do.

----------------

Now with that all said, I am puzzled that you couldn’t share these

feelings with me when you were so kind to me the other night.  I had no

idea you felt this way.  Perhaps this whole mess could have been

avoided with a simple explanation but I think that this is, in the end,

a good thing really.  I urge everyone to be as passionate as Lady

Eleanor and speak their minds when they perceive an unjust act has been

committed as well.  I applaud you for your deep honesty and concern.  I

also thank you for pointing out how confusing the word ‘war’ is.  We

feel that it is misleading to many and that we should have chosen more

wisely when using a word so harsh.  To clarify, there is no war on any

single person or group, it is a ‘war’ to be ‘fought’ by example, word,

and heart.

In service to everyone’s Dream,

Yu Xue XianXian

Gypsy Queen of the Miscreants,

Queen of Misrule of the Court of Miracles,

and SPOON

at Large

“Never judge a man by the gifts he bears.”

-Chinese Proverb