[Loch-Ruadh] Gulf War Missive - Day Three

Pádraig Ruad Ó Maolagáin padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Wed Mar 12 09:16:31 PDT 2008

As I mentioned in yesterday's missive, we had rain Monday night/Tuesday
morning, but it was never very hard, and lacked the accompanying winds we
have experienced in Gulf Wars past.  No one was in a great hurry to leave
the comforts of their beds - some more than others, as Polydore did not
rise until nearly 11:30.  The sky cleared off to partly cloudy, and the
day gradually warmed to a pleasant temperature.  Around mid-afternoon,
Polydore and I set off for town to obtain supplies, both personal and for
a communal supper that evening.  After dropping off Polydore and the
supplies, I returned my vehicle to the parking lot and made my way back to
camp.  I stopped briefly in Merchants Row to speak with the good folk
running a shop called Lacemakers, selling, you will be unsurprised to
learn, lacemaking books, tools and materials.  I had chatted with the lady
of the establishment the day before, and found that we have mutual
acquaintences in the lacemaking community in England, where Amber had once
been a very active lacemaker.  They have in stock some very fine turned
bone bobbins made by an English bobbin maker who I know from many years
ago when Amber and I lived in England, and I will return to their shop to
select one as a gift for Amber before the War is over.

Our communal supper was bratwurst and buns, baked beans and potato chips,
simple but filling, and made even more enjoyable by the addition of some
delicious freshly made mustard, which Vivian learned to make that very day
in an A&S class.  On Wednesday she is going to take a suasage making
class, but I'm not sure that we're going to get samples of that.  Cormac
shared out some of the Jameson's Gold whiskey that he brought with him -
it is truly some of the finest whiskey I have ever tasted.  He was going
to pass around the bottle, but I insisted that a whiskey that expensive
needed better treatment, and fetched a small pewter shot glass that
Polydore had loaned to me.  We sampled it from that, and there was a
comparison made to some 12 year old Jameson's; it was agered that the Gold
was vastly superior.  No one felt much like wandering the site, and so we
cleaned up the few things used to prepare supper and lit the campfire.
Cormac then broke out his second botlle, a fine old Tullamore Dew, and we
again got the shot glass out for a sample.  Different than the Jamesons,
it was every bit as good.  Uriah came down to visit later in the evening,
and sang several songs for us before moving on.  Shortly after midnight,
Vivian, Gryffydd and Cormac went off to bed, leaving Rolf, Polydore and I
to watch the campfire die down.  We remembered that there were three
leftover bratwursts, so Polydore fetched a large toasting fork he had
brought, and we roasted the brats over the campfire coals for a
post-midnight snack before retiring ourselves.

Rolf and I plan on getting armor inspected on Wednesday with the idea of
fighting in the town battle in the afternoon, and I am scheduled to sing
at the Green Dragon at 8 that evening.  Plus Wednesday night is Ansteorran
Chili Night!

More tomorrow.  Still wish you were all here with us.

Nunc est bibendum.