[Loch-Ruadh] Gulf War Missive - Day Six, Seven and Eight

Julie Self julie_self at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 19 05:01:28 PDT 2008

Thanks for the missives!  They were greatly appreciated.

Loch Ruadh Rocks!Beam me sideways, Scottie. These people don't know which way is up!> From: padraig_ruad at irishbard.org> To: loch-ruadh at lists.ansteorra.org> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:23:39 -0500> Subject: [Loch-Ruadh] Gulf War Missive - Day Six, Seven and Eight> > Sorry this one is so late - after a week of dealing with work problems via > cell phone and laptop computer, I couldn't convince myself to get the durned > thing set up on Saturday and write another missive.> > I never did armor up at War this year - I guess I should have left the armor > at home. Between what I suspect is bursitis in my right shoulder and still > not being recovered from a bad case of lung congestion (Vivian kept asking > me when I was going to finish coughing up a lung), I thought it better not > to push myself physically. I intend to be in better shape next year - > Polydore and I have made a wager about who can lose 50 pounds first, and > I'll deal with the shoulder if I have to bind it in duct tape.> > There was a spattering of rain during the wee hours of Friday morning, not > even enough to really wet the ground, so we got off lucky as the storm went > around us. It was very cloudy in the morning, but cleared off to mostly > sunny by the afternoon. I carefully perused Merchant's Row for gifts, as my > funds are severely limited this year, and I want to make sure I got the most > for my money. Polydore and I stopped for one of our favorite meals at Gulf > War, gyros from the vendor in the Merchant's Row food court, and they were > excellent, as always.> > You have already heard about Caerell's successes in A&S - I wish I had a > picture of him, walking about two feet off the ground. We all know how > beautiful his bonework is, and it's nice to know that the Known World agrees > with us. His well-deserved honors at Gulf War are a confirmation of his > skill and talent. (Though I almost think he was happier about the pieces of > ivory he received to do some work with - they are excellent materials, and I > can't wait to see what he creates with them.)> > The wedding that I had agreed to perform went off without a hitch. It took > place in front of the fort, with the groom and his best man in chain mail, > and the bride resplendent in a beautiful Period gown. Polydore, Vivian and > Cormac accompanied me up to the fort to watch the ceremony, which went off > very well. (Thanks also to Cormac, for grabbing me a beer out of Aingeal > and Caerell's cooler on the way there - my throat was parched and I might > have been croaking out the ceremony if not for that nectar of the gods.) We > headed back to camp, so to get supper, and I to get changed so that I could > attend Ansteorran Court. We all managed to make it to Court, for as > everyone know, there is no such thing as Court starting at the scheduled > time. While the rumor I reported on turned out not to take place, Court was > still enjoyable - Aaron always holds a good Court, and never drags it out > unnecessarily. After Court, we spent another evening around the fire, > watching the coals burn down into the early hours of Saturday morning.> > Saturday morning was extremely windy, and we were glad we had taken the time > to stake everything down well. The winds continued until early afternoon, > then tapered off somewhat. We started preparing for our departure on > Sunday, and took a last walk through the site. Polydore and I stopped in at > the Gode Bakery and sampled a couple of the types of sausage rolls they > offer, among a goodly selection of tarts and cakes as well; both the kinds > we tried were excellent.> > I had signed up for another hour at the Green Dragon, and we went up there > at 7:00pm. The crowd was small, which I had expected for that time on > Saturday evening, but as my hour progressed, more folk made their way to the > tavern for the last evening of War. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and was > asked by Sir Elesar if I had any CDs of my music that he could add to the > collection that they play in the bard-in-a-box when there aren't live bards > singing. I promised him that I would have at least one by next War. Master > Efenwealt played and sang the next hour, so we stayed to listen and sing > along on some tunes. Efenwealt also asked me if I had recordings, so I > guess I had better get busy and turn my study into a studio. After > Efenwealt, Don Mateo sang and played - I am pleased that this excellent bard > has recently moved to Bjornsburg from Northshield to join his lady. > Northshield's loss is most definitely Ansteorra's gain. I'm sorry to say > that I left Dragon anout halfway through Mateo's set, as the benches in the > tavern were killing my backside and I couldn't sit there any longer.> > We lit the campfire for the last time, and were visited by Louis and > Colleen. It being before midnight, I didn't sing Barnacle Bill to see if I > could make Louis fall out of his chair. We went to bed rather earlier than > had been our wont for the week, as Vivian and Gruffydd had offered to treat > us all to breakfast at the dining hall, nad we decided to get there as soon > as they opened at 7:30am so we could get back to breaking camp as soon as > possible.> > Wonder of wonders, everyone managed to pry themsleves from their beds at the > appointed hour - even Cormac, who had been out much later than the rest of > us, but was coaxed out by the promise of coffee. Breaking down and packing > up went well, and though Polydore and I left later than we had hoped to, it > would have been later still if not for the help that Cormac provided in > getting the trailer loaded up and tied down.> > All in all, it was another great Gulf War. Here's hoping that many more > folk will be able to make the trip next year!> > Padraig> -- > Nunc est bibendum.> ******************> ******************> Politicians prefer unarmed peasants.> > _______________________________________________> Loch-Ruadh mailing list> Loch-Ruadh at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/loch-ruadh-ansteorra.org