[Loch-Ruadh] Loch Ruadh Yule Revel - An Afterword

Loch Ruadh Seneschal seneschal at lochruadh.org
Mon Dec 7 08:38:23 PST 2009

I hope that all who attended Loch Ruadh's Yule Revel at Dragonsfire Tor enjoyed the event as much as my lady and I did.  Yule Revel has always been my favorite event of the year, and this year was no exception.  To spend the day with friends and family, with feasting, caroling, games, competitions, a raffle - words very nearly fail me, and those of you who know me know how rarely that happens.

Vivat to Loch Ruadh's new Titled Bard, Lady Isolde, and also to to our stepping down Bard, Lady Brighid.  I am always amazed at the bardic talent within our Kingdom, and have never been disappointed by the quality of those who compete for the scarlet and sable cloak of Loch Ruadh.  I must admit to being pleased also that Lady Isolde sang a song with Gaelic phrases - though I am by no means fluent in "the Irish", I love the sound of it, especially in song.

Vivat to Dragonsfire Tor's new Champion Artisan, Lady Lauretta d'Avenporte, and also to the outgoing champion, Lady Al Aeryn.  The competition for DFT's Artisan is always intense and filled with difficult choices for those judging, as the level of the entries is so very high.  Lady Lauretta was very pleased and very surprised - she was heard to say, "But I hadn't planned on winning until NEXT year."

Vivat to the winner of Loch Ruadh's OOPS (Out Of Period - Sorta) A&S competition, Lady Floria Blackdragon, for her beautiful hand-thrown ceramic mugs - wonderful work, and also in a close contest with other fine entries, which are A&S items that appear Period, but done with out of Period materials or methods.

The table decorating contest inspired beautifully dressed tables, with candles and holly and all manner of Yuletide and other assorted decorations.  The House Mac an Ghabhann table, represented by Lady Gwenllian, took first place with their theme of "Candles and Dragons".

The heartfelt thanks of the Shire go to our dear friends, Daire and Druinne, Baron and Baroness of Elfsea, who graciously consented, at Their Royal Majesties' request, to hold Court as the Crown's representatives.  Their Excellencies made it truly a Court especially for Loch Ruadh, and brought grace and elegance to the day,  particularly for those called into Court.  I know that Their Majesties had commitments elsewhere, and I thank Them for Their choice of representatives for our Court.

Vivat to miladies Arianna and Carinna, who received the Rising Star of Ansteorra.  The contributions of these young ladies had actually been recognized much earlier, and they should have received their Awards at this past Elfsea Defender, so the Rising Stars have been chasing them since, so to speak.  I was very happy to be serving as Court Herald when they received their Awards.

Vivat to the newest holders of the Award of Arms in Loch Ruadh, Lady Melodie, Lady Marion, Lady Annest, and Lady Bronwen.  Already ladies in fact, they are officially now Ladies in title as well, and all well deserving of the recognition.

Vivat to the newest holders of the Sable Comet of Ansteorra, Lady Antonia Visconte and Lady Katheryn Margarete de Ryes, for service to the Shire of Loch Ruadh.  These two hard workers join a long list of gentles who have labored to make Loch Ruadh a viable and dynamic group, a strong part of the Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra, and I am very pleased, both as Seneschal and as their friend, that their efforts have been recognized.

Vivats and many thanks go to the Autocrats, Lady Catrin and Lord Kaz, to the activity coordinators, to the work crews and to everyone who contributed to the success of our event.  The hall was beautifully decorated, the result of many hours of effort of the set-up crew on Friday afternoon and evening.  The tear-down crew was truly amazing - the hall was stripped, tables and equipment removed and loaded in trucks, garbage bagged and taken out, and everything cleaned within an hour of the end of the event.  A wonderful event, and most excellently accomplished.

In Service to Loch Ruadh and Ansteorra,

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain
Seneschal of the Shire of Loch Ruadh