[Loch-Ruadh] We need to talk

Karen French klfrench1023 at att.net
Thu Nov 19 11:29:32 PST 2009

Hey Padraig,

There are three things that I need to discuss with you.

1)  I have seen two posts this morning, one for a raffle and another for an auction, all in relation to BAM.  However, I have seen no plug for our raffle at all on the Ansteorran list.  If the tickets are going to BAM, how are people going to know that they are there?  Someone needs to send a post out *today* in order to reach those going to the event.  This is imperative if we are going to advertise this outside our group.  I think there would be a lot of interest in the trailer particularly, and that could potentially draw a lot more money to our Gate fund.

2)  I have noticed that you show particular interest in two of your deputies, and not the third.  Aingeal could be a wonderful asset to you if you would let her.  She knows Corpora and Kingdom law forwards, backwards, upside down, and sideways, and she was a huge benefit to Brighid while she was in office.  She would make an excellent adviser to you as well.  You need to take *great* care not to seem to show favoritism to one faction over another.  I know this may not be the case, but there is the perception of that, and it is apparent to everyone.

3)  I was taken somewhat aback when the discussion was brought up about alternate sites for our October event.  This was apparently discussed at a private function and not a shire function.  I have no objection to the fact that Gryffudd and Alric were discussing a cheaper site.  It was the way that it was brought up in the meeting that surprised me.  This is happening far too often.  Shire business should be discussed with at least Shire officers, if not the populace at large.  When things like this are discussed at private functions, it appears to me that decisions are being made without concern for the rest of us whom are not invited to these get togethers.  This also happened with the initial bid, and that was troublesome enough.  I really don't want to get slammed with these things.  I would prefer to be a part of the decision making process, as I am sure that so would the other officers as well.  These are issues that should be brought
 up at an Officer's meeting initially, so as not to surprise anyone.  We all need to be on the same page, and that can not happen as long as some of us are left out of the decision making process.  The proper way to approach this should have been to say that Dad had discovered an alternate site, and these are the costs and amenities.  That came into the picture way later into the conversation.  It was not straightforward *at all*, and seemed to be somewhat secretive.  I really did not appreciate the way this was handled, and I feel that as Seneschal, you should have jumped in immediately and told them to back up to the beginning and let the rest of us into it.

If these types of things continue to happen, it is going to deepen the rift that we already have instead of bringing us closer together.  I know that there are things in the Shire that need to change, and I have championed many of them myself.  However, there is a right way and a wrong way to accomplish this.  Favoritism can not appear to be in the picture anywhere, or it is doomed to failure.  I have been playing for a very long time, and have seen this sort of thing tear groups apart to the breaking point.  We are already close enough to that point now.  There is a certain amount of finesse that is needed to pull this off, and I would be more than happy to help with this if you are willing to let me.  You must know that I am here for you, to advise and to facilitate in any way possible.  I really am on your side, but I also have to be on Loch Ruadh's side.  All of Loch Ruadh, and not just part of it.  That is my reasoning for remaining
 neutral and not joining any of the households.  I am exceptionally fond of the members of the Seadrake as I am of the members of House Mac, and am very careful not to choose sides.  This is a very difficult balance to accomplish.  After nine years of navigating the politcal minefield as a peer, I have reached a certain level of expertise with this.  You have my ears and my shoulders whenever you should need them.

Yours in Service to Crown, Kingdom, and Shire

Caterina