[Loch-Ruadh] Boy Scout demo

Terry Sikes tdsikes at prodigy.net
Mon Apr 19 06:45:50 PDT 2010

Sorry I didn't post this Saturday, but my internet is down.

In spite of the Scouts doing a lot of rescheduling and moving due to the rain, everything went  great!  The rain didn't dampen the spirits of the Scouts much at all.  We could take a lesson from them.

The theme was Vikings and we had (estimate) 14-16 SCA members there.  There were several people showing the older Scouts how to blacksmith, Laynie and Katerina were showing Scouts how to do Viking wire weaving, and I was demonstrating pewter casting in sand and soapstone.  We had a couple of fighters do some brief fighting in the rain.

In case anyone is worried over what the youth in this country are turning in to, you should go to one of these.  The boys were very polite, interested, and attentive.  I discussed Vikings as I was doing the demo and many of the Scouts had obviously read up and knew not only a good bit about Vikings, but other subjects like mythology, sailing navigation, and food!  I persuaded (conned) several of them into trying my special recipe of Viking gruel (LOL) and flat bread and passed around examples of cast items.  Almost all of the boys thanked me for the demo and several enjoyed it enough to come back and watch it again.  I also did a demo for several of the adults and talked to them about the SCA.

It was a long day for me, but I enjoyed it!  BTW this site at the scout camp is gorgeous.  It has cedar trees everywhere and is on top of a hill, right next to a taller hill, and has log cabins and rock trails all over.

Terrence