[Loch-Ruadh] from new Fian Ruadh Commander

Terry Sikes tdsikes at prodigy.net
Tue Oct 26 07:55:31 PDT 2010

For those that did not attend the Shannon River Raid event, or the Fian Ruadh meeting after, I have been chosen as the new Fian Ruadh Commander.  Thank you for placing me in this position of trust.

My goal as Fian Ruadh Commander is to explore new ways for Fian Ruadh to function as a tactical unit, using all the fighters available to support each other and including shieldmen, spearmen, and archers, and even with room for fast moving swords or Florentine fighters.  I have a few ideas on melee combat and tactics on the shield wall that I will bring up.  Please bear in mind that I'm still exploring and experimenting with these ideas.  I've already discussed some of them with several fighters in Fian Ruadh and see reasons they may not work, but I'd still like to experiment with them.  I will be discussing them at a future practice.

I also want to encourage anyone that wishes to fight, but hasn't been authorized yet, or doesn't have armor ready.  To include some of these people I would like to have some (unofficial) unarmored practices using foam or boffer weapons.  This would also benefit those that are out of shape or out of practice, as they won't require full on combat.

I know that I am not the most experienced fighter to hold the position of Commander, and am aware the majority of Fian Ruadh has worn the Commander's baldric at one time.  Please don't hesitate discuss anything with me, or give me your guidance and thoughts at any time.

Thanks!,
Terrence
Fian Ruadh Commander