[Loch-soilleir] Practice-practice-practice

Bill Butler chemistbb3 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 31 16:53:04 PDT 2006

OK, let us boil this down to simple terms that hits
the high spots (but not all the I's and T's are dotted
and crossed).

An offical practice is one that is sponsored by a
recognized SCA group.  It also meets certain other
criteria (marshals, officers, announcement, etc.  This
also means that it has all the SCA benefits,
especially the SCA insurance.  Authorizations can be
done at an official practice.

An un-offical practice is just about anythng else.  If
2-3 folks want to dress up in metal and leather and
hit each other with sticks in front of their house,
there is nothing the SCA can do about it.  No
authorizations can happen at an unoffical practice.
If you want to invite a couple of folks over to play
with the "toys", it is perfectly OK.  If I am in town
and invited, I may even show up.  Heaven knows I need
the practice.

But...

An example:

George Newcomer goes over to Sir Hits Hard's house and
they swing a stick or two so George can learn a bit
about Chiv fighting.  Not thinking, George Newcomer
waves to his little girl just as Sir Hits Hard throws
the "Death Dealer" (trademark pending).  This results
in a broken arm for poor George in spite of everything
Sir Hits Hard tried to do to turn the shot.  It is not
the SCA insurance that is called into effect here, but
Sir Hits Hard's.

Remember, this is a very simplified view and does not
even make an attempt to define offical SCA policy.
For that, see Corpra and Kingdom law.

William