[Loch-soilleir] Report from first Youth UFO/Fiber Arts night

Wyllow MacMuireadhaigh wyllowmacm at netscape.net
Sat Feb 11 12:16:26 PST 2006

Greetings to the Loch from Wyllow!

The "Life of a Cow" was well-received!  Eight kids made yoghurt, churned butter, and explored what it would take to raise and care for a milk cow.  The porch shook as some decided to churn themselves which, unbeknownst to them, kept the buttermilk still.
And we adults had a blast just sitting back and watching the fun.  Thanks to those who came out, despite having no kids - you were invaluable for re-recruiting an old SCAer. (I opened these nights up to non-SCA Scout parents & kids, to see if it would draw some newcomers in.  It did.)  Glenn came out to the fighter practice last Tuesday - and his daughters want to boffer-fight.  More young warriors for our army!

This Monday is our "Socialization Thistle" night - come with something to do, or plans to socialize.   It will be a calm, relaxed evening.  I hope to have three types of indigo pots going - you may bring a small skein or handkerchief to dip, if you wish.

Next Month's Youth UFO/Fiber Arts night will be:
The Life of a Sheep.
It is the first Monday in March (March 6), starting about 7pm.
The subdivision frowns on livestock in the backyard, so we will start with the shorn wool.  The kids will card it, spin it, and finger-weave it into a belt.  If my indigo dyepots set well, they can dye a bit, too.  They will also learn what it would take to raise and care for a flock of sheep.  Belle had so much fun running the last class, she has volunteered to run this one, too.

In Service to the youth of the world,
H.L. Wyllow MacMuireadhaigh
wyllowmacm at netscape.net
Home: 281-316-0764