[Loch-soilleir] UFO & Fiber Arts - Cancelled Jan 30 and changes therafter

Wyllow MacMuireadhaigh wyllowmacm at netscape.net
Thu Jan 26 20:36:19 PST 2006

Greetings From Wyllow unto the talented Artisans and Scholars of the Loch who honor my humble abode with your presence each Monday!

First - an important announcement!  I will NOT be home for the 5th Monday of January.  That is next Monday.  I am choosing the Master/Mistress under which my daughter will apprentice - and I must visit the Botanist, Philosopher, and Alchemist on this night.  Go buy fabric, plot messy projects for my house, or something...

Next:
Change comes to the Fiber Arts and UFO (Un-Finished Objects) nights!

Do you love it when someone walks in an exclaims "Help!  I need a new outfit for next weekend!"?  Or do you long for those quiet evenings where we all gather and quietly knit, spin, stitch, and stir our fibers into works of art?  Do you feel torn between a night at UFO vs. a night at Charter Painting?  Do you want to try out a class for Queen's or King's college?  Do you wish there was some way to engage the youth in our "hobby"?

Well, realizing the dangers of such an action, I am trying to please everyone.  You can now pick your environment.
---
The FIRST Monday of the month - Family Day - If you enjoy kids underfoot, come!
This is a good day to plan to do research and exchange ideas - possibly with a curious youngster at your elbow.
I am issuing a challenge to our Youth to come up with some medieval activities/classes and run them on the side at UFO.  (Adults could also offer a class.)  These could count towards the new Kingdom children's badges, other non-SCA youth awards and activities such as Scouts or a Science Project, or just be fun.  If no one comes up with anything, I have a mountain of wool to be carded...

February: Life as a Cow - (Belle is running it.)  Learn what it took in medieval times to keep a milk cow.  Make butter, buttermilk, yoghurt.  (We've ruled out learning the cuts of beef - too gross!)Anyone have a good medieval Dairy book?  This should nicely complement the Cheese Day from January.

March: Open.  Thinking about Life as a Sheep...or maybe a Fish...
---
The SECOND Monday of the month - "Socialization Thistle" Day - Bring a self-contained project to work on, or just come to socialize.

This is the quiet night, so you won't miss out if you decide to Charter Paint, instead.  I plan to have a different dyepot on each month.  You are welcome to bring a small skein wool or kerchief-sized bit of cloth to drop in.  (No full sheep or chemises, please!)
---
The THIRD, FOURTH, and sometimes FIFTH Mondays of the month - true UFO nights.
Bring on your projects - nothing's too big or small.  Warn me, if you need special setup - a clean kitchen, an empty garage, extra sewing machines, a specialized teacher, or a backyard firepit - and we'll have fun.

We'll re-assess the change in a few months - so tell me whether or not it works for you.

In Service to the Dream,
H.L. Wyllow MacMuireadhaigh

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.