[Loch-soilleir] idea for teen involvement

Hedwig von Luneborg lochherald at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 13:28:54 PDT 2006

I don't know how many parents we actually have in the Loch that have teens
but this post came across SCA Parents at Yahoo and I thought you might find
it interesting:

> "I don't have any specific activities but I suggest empowering them. I
> ahve a teenager and have noticed the problem and that most of what they get
> to do is help. I encourage the mto take part in the things that they can
> (classes, quests, etc...) and give them a "thank you" for their help. The
> thank you that I offer is this - I find several of the teens that I know
> (and trust) and they plan a "teen revel" for the event. Every teen who does
> two hours of service (depending on the event of course) gets to attend. This
> encourages the teens to go and volunteer for something that they are
> interested in- helping with the little ones, ground crew for equestrian,
> heralding, water bearing ,serving feast, running for autocratting staff,
> there are a multitude of possibilities - and they get to go hang with their
> friends in the evenings. As it is inside, I let them choose what they want
> to do and give them a small budget for it. You, of course, have to find a
> very cool adult to act as chaperone though. The only reason that I put the
> service requirement in is that it tends to exclude that small percentage of
> the teens that are only there to party (although the SCA in our area doesn't
> seem to ahve a huge number of those). One event it was all girls for some
> reason and their choice was to have someone come teach them to make jewelry
> and someone else come do all of their hair - they looked and felt gorgeaous.
> Another it was a mixed group and they chose to play roleplaying games (not
> necessarily period but their choice, their payment for their hard work). We
> have done this for a few years and we now have all the kids calling each
> other before events to plan what they want to do this time. It has really
> raised the teen interest in events. And we have even started seeing several
> of the teens getting AoA's for their service as they found something that
> they really enjoy and have run with it."

Just an idea that I thought was a good one.  See you all at populace,
--
Hedwig

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.
         -Eleanor Roosevelt-