[Loch-soilleir] idea for teen involvement

Fergus Stout bullheaded67 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 15 11:08:59 PDT 2006

Wonderful idea!  How many actual 'teens' do we have around?  Julia is 13 but Sarah is 10.

  Fergus

Hedwig von Luneborg <lochherald at gmail.com> wrote:
    I don't know how many parents we actually have in the Loch that have teens but this post came across SCA Parents at Yahoo and I thought you might find it interesting:

    "I don't have any specific activities but I suggest empowering them. I ahve a teenager and have noticed the problem and that most of what they get to do is help. I encourage the mto take part in the things that they can (classes, quests, etc...) and give them a "thank you" for their help. The thank you that I offer is this - I find several of the teens that I know (and trust) and they plan a "teen revel" for the event. Every teen who does two hours of service (depending on the event of course) gets to attend. This encourages the teens to go and volunteer for something that they are interested in- helping with the little ones, ground crew for equestrian, heralding, water bearing ,serving feast, running for autocratting staff, there are a multitude of possibilities - and they get to go hang with their friends in the evenings. As it is inside, I let them choose what they want to do and give them a small budget for it. You, of course, have to find a very cool adult to act
 as chaperone though. The only reason that I put the service requirement in is that it tends to exclude that small percentage of the teens that are only there to party (although the SCA in our area doesn't seem to ahve a huge number of those). One event it was all girls for some reason and their choice was to have someone come teach them to make jewelry and someone else come do all of their hair - they looked and felt gorgeaous. Another it was a mixed group and they chose to play roleplaying games (not necessarily period but their choice, their payment for their hard work). We have done this for a few years and we now have all the kids calling each other before events to plan what they want to do this time. It has really raised the teen interest in events. And we have even started seeing several of the teens getting AoA's for their service as they found something that they really enjoy and have run with it."

Just an idea that I thought was a good one.  See you all at populace,
--
Hedwig

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.
         -Eleanor Roosevelt-

http://mail.yahoo.com