[Loch-soilleir] brewing day

Donna Nesbit themaefare at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 16:02:18 PDT 2007

Being an newbie to brewing, I am just getting to know
a little. After taking a class, I am interested in
passing on the info... AND THE FUN in a little
getting-to-know-you Torre de los Brazos event on the 20th of July!

A small bit of background. Liqueur is relative of
cordials which were used traditionally as a medicinal
drink, having herbs seeped in them: mint for upset
stomach, cinnamon as a soothing agent, etc.
Having attended the Liqueur Making 101 class in 2006
taught by William Silke and Alden Drake, I thought
there might be an interest in me passing on this info
and us holding a class to making one of four recipes I
received in their class.
The recipes are 1) Chocolate Liqueur 2) Egg Liquor 3)
Lemoncello 4) Coffee Liqueur
All but the Lemoncello can be made at one time. The
Lemoncello requires a two week seeping time of the
lemon rind in 100 proof vodka prior to the actual
recipe. I will be doing this one, for a Christmas
present. (If you are interested, I will seep a few
more lemons for you with my bunch! Let me know)
The requirements for one  recipe batch is a
large-mouth quart jar to take your product home in
(mayonnaise jar will do). Two jars are better, we
usually have enough to share around to others. (Mixing
the Egg and Chocolate turned out the most wonderful
stuff with a BIG kick!) If you have a BIG metal bowl
or two bring 'em along, oh, and a 2 cup or larger
measure cup. We didn't have enough when we were doing
it in class. We spent alot of time trying to find the
measure cup, which was still alot of fun!  We had the BEST
  time in this class, and ended up with
some wonderful liqueurs.

Supplies for Chocolate Liqeuer are:
chocolate extract (for baking)
vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups vodka
1/2 cup sugar syrup (to be made ahead or at Donna's
that day)

Supplies for Egg Liquor are
8 egg yolks
2 drops vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1 can 15 oz condensed milk
20 oz brandy or 14 oz brandy PLUS 6 oz vodka

Supplies for Lemoncello
2 lb ripe lemons
1 quart vodka
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 cups water

Supplies for Coffee Liqueur
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup dry instant coffee
1/2 chopped vanilla bean
1 1/2 cup vodka
caramel coloring (optional)

If you are interested in joining us at Penelope
  Darling's house (174 Hospital Dr. Angleton)
  on the 20th of July, Friday evening, 7:00 pm,
  let me know (849-9242) or email privately (themaefare at yahoo.com),
  so I can plan equipment accordingly. Any additional info
anyone might have, bring it along to share with the group.

  Viva Torre!
Katherine Gyles (aka Harriotte Robinson )