[Loch-soilleir] [Ansteorra-Equestrian] garb question

Fergus Stout bullheaded67 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 13:17:10 PDT 2007

Greetings Lord Rhys,

I think it is fantastic that you are attempting an acurate portrayal of your Welsh persona.  In actuality, what we know as 'kilts' or the the Scottish great kilt is extremely questionable within the time period of the SCA.  I don't want to focus on that though - let's focus instead on the heart of what you asked.

What would be appropriate garments for a Welshman during the period of the SCA?  The answer to that question is going to differ greatly depending on the time frame you wish to portray.  I suggest focusing on a specific time period and narrow it down as comfortably as possible.  Generally speaking, the earlier you go the broader the time span can be as we have few direct evidence records to account for what was actually worn.

http://heatherrosejones.com/welshfaqs/clothing.html would be an excellent source to start your reseach into Welsh clothing.

Regards,

Fergus