[Loch-soilleir] Sheep-to-Shawl

Wyllow MacMuireadhaigh wyllowmacm at netscape.net
Wed Jun 11 22:46:09 PDT 2008

Greetings unto the Loch!

I am hosting a series of Sheep-to-Shawl classes at our Monday Fiber
Arts Guild.
(UnFinished Objects - UFO - meet at the same time & place.  Come to
work on a project, ask for help with garb, do some research - or
simply enjoy some companionship.  I've recently been given a stack of
good cloth, to offer to those trying to put together a new outfit.)

This Monday (6/16), we are carding wool.  I have teaching cards or
everyone - so come & prepare your fibers for the next step.

Next Monday (6/23), we will be starting a new Indigo vat specifically
designed for wool.

And the following Monday (6/30), we will be making spindles and
spinning our wool.

In July - we'll dye!  Madder red, Weld or Ragweed yellow, Indigo blue
- as well as anything else we can find a pot to hold.
Dyeing requires a lot of waiting between stirrings - so we'll
continue to card, comb, spin, measure, & cut, as we dye...
As does Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos.  See: http://www.pdl.cmu.edu/
Fates/images/3fates.jpg

Then maybe some felting.
Then the weaving/knitting/naalbinding.
And finally - a shawl!  Or something useful.  You'll never look at
dollar-a-yard cloth the same way again...

We meet on Mondays, 7-9pm, at Wyllow's House - 207 Sweetgum, League
City, 77573.

In Service to the Dream,
H.L. Willoc MacMuiredaig  (The College of Heralds found my birth
record - I seem to have been misspelling my name since birth!)
Phone: 281-316-0764
Email: wyllowmacm at netscape.net

P.S. These classes - especially the carding/combing wool - are also
appropriate for children who want to learn.  Let them come, so they
can learn to work as did the children in the Middle Ages.