[Loch-soilleir] Monday UFO & Fiber Arts

Wyllow MacMuireadhaigh wyllowmacm at netscape.net
Mon Sep 14 05:31:43 PDT 2009

Greetings unto the scholars and artisans of the Loch!

Strange as it seems, this is only the second Monday of the month -
and so, our Fiber Arts night.  We meet at my house (207 Sweetgum,
League City) from 7-9pm.  This month, I am offering to teach Soumak
Weaving.  This is a tapestry weaving style used to create Coptic
textiles used in Egypt, Rome, and Byzantium.  These textiles
influenced the development of textiles and fashions throughout
Europe.  If you would like to learn this style, please bring:
- a small, simple warped loom (You can use a piece of wood or
cardboard, with string or yarn wrapped around it.)
- a large needle (tapestry or naalbending will work)
- a cartoon (simple picture) to place behind it.  The Loch Soilley -
or your own device - would make a great cartoon.
- any bits & ends of yarn you would like to use up.
I have spare children's looms, needles, and yarn, if you need to
borrow any of the above.  While Coptic textiles were usually woven
with wool, any collection of colorful yarns can be used.

For those of you who drive so far to play with the Northern part of
the Loch, I have good news!  Next Monday, Lady Penelope is hosting an
UFO - UnFinished Objects - meeting in the Southern reaches of our
Barony - 174 Hospital Drive, Angleton.

In Service to the Dream,
H.L. Willoc mac Muiredaig
PH: 281-316-0764