[Musicians] Christmas Carols

Todd Marsh via Musicians musicians at lists.ansteorra.org
Fri Oct 10 18:15:57 PDT 2014

I agree with Gaston's comment that we should be careful to choose carols
that can be documented to our period. Even with that limit, the 9 pieces
listed below may be too much for us to learn quickly. What are your top
4-5 of these?

My revised selection list is:

>From
http://www.twmarsh.net/music/2014/09/medieval-and-renaissance-christmas-carols/

  * Ther is no Rose of Swych Vertu (Trinity Roll, 15th century)
  * Verbum Caro Factum Est (Piae Cantiones, 16th century)
  * Nova Nova (15th century)
  * Lo How a Rose (16th century)
  * Veni Veni Emanuel (French, 15th century)
  * Salutation Carol (English, 15th century)

 From other sources:

*Gaudete, Christus est natus* (Piae Cantiones, 16th century)
http://imslp.org/wiki/File:PMLP374501-Piae-gaud.pdf

*In Dulci Jubilo* (14th Century German)
http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Christmas/in_dulci.pdf

*Covertry Carol, Luly, lulay* (15th century)
http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Christmas/coventry.pdf

Then next question is when to get together to sing. The Stargate and
Dragonsfire Tor Yule revels are both on December 6th. I will be at
Dragonsfire Tor Yule with music to sing from. Is there interest in
meeting at Wiesenfeuer on December 13th?

Llywelyn