[Namron] Helping the community

Ulf Gunnarsson ulfie at mmcable.com
Thu Sep 20 21:12:53 PDT 2001

Some of you probably heard the President's address earlier tonight.  He
spoke on many topics that have been in the forefront of our minds over the
past week.  While being a medieval recreationist won't save the world, as a
private person enjoying the liberty to pursue such pastimes you can
certainly give aid.  The web site that the President mentioned for aid to
the folks in New York is
http://libertyunites.org/
It seems to be a collection of many different groups who are offering aid
and asking for donations.  Click on the "more charities" link to see a full
list of the groups from that page.

Many people both here and around the nation have given blood or have donated
food.  Some of these groups now need money to get the supplies there.
Others need more specific help or less tangible help, as pretty much all
walks of life have been affected by this tragedy.  If you are in a position
to donate or volunteer, please consider doing so.

One thing that being in the SCA teaches is tolerance and diversity.  Here in
Namron we not only have our own Sheik, we have a lot more knowledge of
Middle Eastern cultures than our day to day co-workers.  We have had a
Muslim king, and at least one Crown was Jewish.  We tend not to cry for
genocide, as we have seen unpleasant cases of it in history's lists of
crusades and jihads.

So please avoid falling into the mass hysteria that is sweeping the country,
where people who look "Middle Eastern" are being threatened and mosques are
being bombed.  Help others understand that this is not about Nation vs.
Nation or even Islam vs. the World, but Free People vs. Terrorists, no
matter their race or religion. Part of our focus is education, maybe it's
time to do that in our own quiet way.

Thanks,
Ulf and Maleah
Baron and Baroness