[Namron] Med Fair, Scheduling, and other things to think about.

Lee McGoodwin etienett at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 15:46:28 PST 2002

Vivat, Alexander.
      If you run away from something because you don't
like it, or it's too difficult.....How do you expect
it to change for the better.... into something you do
like?

Etienett

--- LdAlexndr at aol.com wrote:
> ~Everyone...
>
> I've been sitting back here over the last few days
> watching the various posts as they go by. I've
> debated if I was going to throw my 2 cents in or
> not, but I think I have to at this point.
> When myself and Tadhg coordinated the encampment two
> years ago, we had a very ordered schedule. Some
> liked it, some did not. However, there's a very good
> reason behind having an ordered structure of events.
> 1. The SCA is not all about fighting. I understand
> that allot of what we do is centered around the list
> field and I'm not knocking it abit. However, with a
> demo that is this important for drawing in new
> members, we *must* present the widest array of
> activities as possible in the time allotted. Now,
> I'm not saying every single interest has to be
> presented, that should be saved for when we get
> someone to a populace meeting. But there has to be a
> balance presentation.
> 2. People are people, not machines. We allotted 45
> minutes to each activity during the day and then a
> break for lunch. That allowed Heavy weapons, rapier,
> and dancing to have at least two rotations in the
> morning and then in the afternoon. Now, did we stick
> closely to that schedule? Well... no. We ran over at
> some points, and shorter on others, and we even
> skipped one at times. But it allowed everyone to get
> their fill over three days, not completely exhaust
> themselves, and get a chance to see the fair.
> 3. Do something different. There is always allot
> going on at Med Fair. Unfortunately, there's never
> enough people to cover every area. The field needs
> more than just the fighters/dancers/etc out on the
> field. There's always a shortage of people walking
> the ropes ::gasp:: talking to people. All the
> fighting in the world is not going to do a lick of
> good if there's no one out there talking with the
> crowds. For those who know me, that's primarily what
> I do at the fair. I can't begin to count the number
> of times I've: a: lost my voice b: gotten totally
> sunburned c: been the only one there d: never run
> out of things to talk about. You'd be amazed how
> easy it is to get up there and just talk to people.
> Yeah, there are allot of idiots who want to make fun
> of what's going on, but I tell ya... they're pretty
> easy to deal with. Also, there are other areas
> besides the field. The A&S tent is a great place to
> show off artwork and other crafts. It's also a great
> place just to get out of the sun and talk with
> people for awhile. If you think that people only
> come because of the sound of the fighting... well...
> we're kinda in the main traffic path and people come
> anyway. I won't dispute that the most number of
> people attend during the fighting, but... as I said
> before, the fighting cannot be the only thing
> happening. Also, if you're worried about attracting
> people, gather a group of people and go herald our
> events and times out among the masses. Baron Ulf did
> [...]

=====
No light shines on the mind protected
No light shines on the fangs neglected
Run with the wolfpack.      (song lyrics)

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/seanetcafe