[Namron] RE: Beltaine Remarks

Annais de Montgomerie maleahladywait at yahoo.com
Tue May 14 18:05:25 PDT 2002

--- John Cole <aethelstan at mmcable.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I didn't get to wander all that much this weekend,
> but overall I really like
> this site.

Me too.  It's got something about it that really
reminds me of both Lake Taylor and the Northkeep site.
 I think it reminds me of Taylor because of the lage
flat land for fighting, shooting, games and parking.
And a body of water for the Ansteorran swim team to
practice in. :) It reminds me of the Northkeep site
because of the hall and the fact that it is set up the
same way, just on a smidge smaller scale.  And being
there this weekend brought back a flood of memories
from years past.  That was so cool.

> I think that the main reason was the fact that for
> the first time in several
> years, I have been able to breath like a normal
> human because of the lack of
> a quadrabazillion cedar and pine trees.

I have been under the weather for the past week, and I
know that if I had tried to go to Cimarron, I would
have been just MISERABLE.  And that's with the
antibiotics, 'scrip drugs and whatever else I could
take and still be upright.

> I must have been one of the only folks who didn't
> get any ticks and very few
> insect bites. Then again I really didn't go anywhere
> near the woodline. OR I
> may have found one really good side benifit of
> drinking Irish Whiskey :)

I'll take option number 2.

> For our friends who live to the north of us, I am
> sorry that it was an
> inconvienance to have a longer drive. I, however,
> didn't really see that
> much difference in the drive from norman, and I have
> to say that I prefered
> driving through the arbuckles than through OKC
> metro.

It is about a 10-20 minute shorter drve to Murray from
Norman.  It's right off the interstate and easy enough
to find.  The Arbuckles are much more scenic and
poetic than OKC any day.

>I wonder how many
> folks remember Lake Taylor? It was a lot more
> primative than this site, and
> just about as far away. We in the northern region
> used the holy livin' liver
> out of that site. We had feasts, courts, tourneys,
> games, revels, and a
> lake. We also had protable toilets and had to bring
> in most of our water and
> there were no such thing as cabins.

NO joke.  Namron, Eldern, and Wiesenfeuer used this
site for at least 5 years, more like 7.  And no one
really seemed to notice that there was no water, no
flush privs, no showers.  Great times were had by
many.  I remember even the feast stewards not caring
that there wasn't a fully stocked professional
kitchen.  We cooked in the pit around a HUGE MUCKING
fire and just dealt with it.   And had a lot of fun
and made a lot of friends that way.

>This "primitive"
> site is also where I
> have had many of my best sca memories...like Gwyneth
> being rowed across the
> lake after her step down as Baroness of Namron.

I cried.  It was beautiful... the lake and the hush of
the crowd, and then the fireworks... I'm taring up
remember that.  (Evil Aethel...) and Pepin and
Caitlin's step up with the horses was something to
remember as well.  I cried then too.  Then the
Protectorate where Anya got her thistle and the week
before she and I got a wild hair and watched Aladdin
repeatedly and her sewing room excploded two Tudors in
72 hours.  "one too many hits with a snake".... the
Beltane I autocratted with Ettienette when I was 6
month pregnatnt with my boy.  We didn't notice the
"primitiveness" of this site.  We just went and had
fun and made memories.

>Camp
> Cimmaron is a wonderful
> facility, and we as a region have been blessed to be
> able to use it. We have
> also been spoiled by the use of it.

Well, yes.  And we have, and we have made memories
there as well.  But Cimarron is getting pricey and
there are other places for us to go and continue
making memories.  Maybe it's time to move on, at least
for Namron....

> I, for one, hope that we will continue to use the
> Murray site in the future.
> I have a feeling that "bardic at the rock" will
> become one of those
> legendary places that folks travel to just to
> experience the magic of an
> evening in the society.
>
> Aethelstan

I think I have put in my $1.50 now.