[Namron] SCA and Tecumseh

William FitzBubba fitzbubba at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 18:44:48 PDT 2003

--- Duncan MacNamara <duncan_macnamara at hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Well, It has to do with the local police and the
> Sherrif's Department.

I'd start out with a visit to the county sheriff.
Take along some of our documentation.  Tell him about
us.  Explain to him that we're not Nazi facists, or
the local anarchist group, or anything like that.
If you get *him* on your side, then when the Shawnee
police start freaking out you just tell them to
contact the sheriff because "he knows all about you".

Also:  those blades we carry around in support of a
historical non-profit organization are *not* swords
and knives.  They are museum display items.  We don't
fight with them.  We make, carry, and display them as
examples of our historical research in the Middle
Ages.  I've used this argument successfully with the
Border Patrol (ours and the Canadians).

But I do understand your position.  Many of us have
security clearances and mundane jobs that would be in
jeopardy if we were branded some sort of unacceptable
group member.  You might want to make the effort to
convince the law enforcement officers that we're *not*
an unacceptable group...just a little wierd in our own
way.

Care,
Bubba