[Namron] Early Music Guild?

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Fri Mar 28 04:35:05 PST 2003

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 11:00:55PM -0600, Morgan & Ariane wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have been trying to contact Master Mike, but I think I have his e-mail
> wrong (mikea at mikea.ath.cx). Can you please e-mail me again?
>
> Walter Robbin and I may be interested in starting an early music guild and
> we could use your advice. The biggest problem is who else whould be
> interested (in the OKC to Norman area)? As far as I know the local early
> musicians have fled the SCA, so that has left only a few willing to consider
> doing this again.
>
> Ever since we got back from Meridies, I have been entertaining (no pun
> intended) the idea of a Music Guild. I had talked to two of their members
> about the Meridies music guild when we went to Saltar (a really cool dance
> event in Memphis) and it made me wish we had the interest here in the area.
> So, for every one eles who is reading this let me know what you think. Lord
> Walter and I are already in a dance and music performance group called "Ye
> Dead Marlows" that consists of four of the members of the "Rennaissance
> Courtly Dancers", but it would be cool to do something with the local SCA
> groups in order to bring more period music to local events. I know I have
> slammed my head against this wall before, but I just can not give up yet.
>
> I will not guarantee that we will follow through with this (after all, would
> it  really be a guild if there ended up only being two of us?), but I am
> interested to know if there are serious musicians out there interested in
> early music. After Known World Dance (in June) would be a good time to start
> something like this.

Master Mike, c'est moi!

I think that having a local SCA early music group would be A Good
Thing. I don't know that it would have to be a guild, necessarily,
and since a guild is IIRC obligated to do periodic reports and the
like, I don't know that you would want to put that burden on
yourselves.

But a local SCA early music group? Yes! Go _RIGHT_ ahead, with my
blessing -- and maybe even with a little support from me.

--
Mike Andrews	/	Michael Fenwick 	Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old music Laurel since 1987