[Namron] Brewing question

GCOM gcom at po.okccc.edu
Wed May 7 09:57:41 PDT 2003

Here is the url of a site with very straight forward directions on
hydrometer use:

http://www.stevenson-reeves.co.uk/howto.htm

Here is the text from the site. There is one photo on the site you
should see, so visit the site if you can:

How to use a hydrometer

Before using the hydrometer
Make sure both the hydrometer and hydrometer jar are clean.
If the liquid to be tested is not at room temperature, allow it to
reach room temperature before testing.
Pour the liquid carefully into the hydrometer jar to avoid the
formation of air bubbles. Do this by pouring it slowly down the side of
the jar.
Stir the liquid gently, avoiding the formation of air bubbles.

Taking a Reading
Carefully insert the hydrometer into the liquid, holding it at the top
of the stem, and release it when it is approximately at its position of
equilibrium.
Note the reading approximately, and then by pressing on the top of the
stem push the hydrometer into the liquid a few millimetres and no more
beyond its equilibrium position. Do not grip the stem, but allow it to
rest lightly between finger and thumb. Excess liquid on the stem above
the surface can affect the reading.
Release the hydrometer; it should rise steadily and after a few
oscillations settle down to its position of equilibrium.
If during these oscillations the meniscus is crinkled or dragged out of
shape by the motion of the hydrometer, this indicates that either the
hydrometer or the surface of the liquid is not clean. Carefully clean
the hydrometer stem. If the meniscus remains unchanged as the
hydrometer rises and falls, then the hydrometer and liquid surface are
clean, and a reading can be taken.
The correct scale reading is that corresponding to the plane of
intersection of the horizontal liquid surface and the stem. This is not
the point where the surface of the liquid actually touches the
hydrometer stem. Take the reading by viewing the scale through the
liquid, and adjusting your line of sight until it is in the plane of
the horizontal liquid surface. Do not take a reading if the hydrometer
is touching the side of the hydrometer jar.

Taking the Temperature
Using a suitable thermometer, take the temperature of the liquid
immediately after taking the hydrometer reading.
If there is any chance of a change in the temperature of the liquid it
is safer to take the temperature both before and after the hydrometer
reading. A difference of more than 1°C means that the temperature is
not stable, and the liquid should be left to reach room temperature.
If the temperature of the liquid is not the same as that on the
hydrometer scale, the hydrometer reading should have a correction due
to temperature applied.

Handling the Hydrometer
The hydrometer should never be held by the stem, except when it is
being held vertically.
When holding the stem, always hold it by the top, as finger-marks lower
down can affect the accuracy of the instrument.
Always handle with care.

Here is a temperature correction chart for use with your hydrometer.
Since liquids become less dense as their temperature increase, and more
dense as their temperature decreases, you have to adjust for the
temperature of the liquid you are taking a density reading of:

Hydrometer         Temperature         Correction Table

Degrees Fahrenheit
Adjustment to         Reading

32
Subtract 1.6