[Namron] Help me find a name!

Sami mamasami at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 11:45:15 PDT 2004

Lord Winkleried,

Thank you for the advice....here's my next dillema.  I'm like a kid in a candy store...I can't decide on a region or era.  I almost want to try them all...sigh....

I'll just keep plugging along...till then I remain

Sami of Maysville

marc adkins <winkleried at oecadvantage.net> wrote:
My understanding ( Based on when I was the founding herald of the defunct shire based outta Chickasha) Is that you can keep one element of your mundane name as long as it is in the proper order. I.E. On mine I took my first name and converted it to German.My advice is not to get too wrapped up in the multiple layers of each meaning of the individual portions of your name.
Other guidelines from the College of Heralds for submitting a name ; No mixing of languages( A mixture of Latin and French and roma will be nixed ) no titles (until awarded by the SCA); No famous personality (Eleanor of Aquitaine will be nixed as well), No conflicts with any other name in the SCA ( Agnese de Siena is already spoken for) and no obviously fantasy names ( Arwen daughter of Elron ).
    We as Americans come from a varied and wildly mixed heritage that simply was not the case in the periods that we are trying to portray.
My advice is to find a time period and a country that fascinates you and go from there. Again as an example when I first started playing I was extremely interested in Switzerland particularly around the period during the rise of the Swiss Confederation. So I based my persona around that region and time period.
My lady on the other hand took a little bit longer to determine what she wanted. all she knew was that she was interested in pre renaissance Italy. after some false starts she landed on a time, place and background for her persona. that she still portrays.
    I Guess what I am trying to say is take your time, it will come and you definitely don't want to get stuck with a name that you are unhappy with.
    No one is forced to register a name and I know several in this group that have not done so. Keep talking to the heralds and let me know when You are going to be at the next pop meeting. I have a article that address this and a couple of related topics.
As a side note I was the only Germanic persona in a shire full of Celtic type personas. Wilhelm von Winkleried( Pronounced Vilhelm Won Vinkleried) was a bit too complicated for them to say. So it was shortened to Willy ( As in Free...) 13 years later I am still referred to that today. People are going to call you what they want to and mean no ill will when they do so.

Lord Wilhelm von Winkleried (OHSS)