[Namron] Introduction-Wilhelm Von Winkleried

marc adkins winkleried at oecadvantage.net
Sat Dec 11 15:16:01 PST 2004

Greetings my name is Wilhelm von Winkleried, and I am the baronial Knights Marshall.
I am a 14th century Swiss landowner from village of Sarnen in the half canton of Obwalden. We are a small poor people who are standing up for our rights as we were given immediacy (self rule) by the emperor Frederick II, before they were usurped by the Hapsburg family. My Grandfather was one of the men who swore the oath At Rutli on the bank of Lake Lucerne. This oath/treaty Forming a perpetual alliance against the Hapsburgs and for the traditional rights granted us. This oath was sworn by men from the  Waldstatte or three forest cantons of Uri, Schwyz, and Unterwalden. Grandfather harassed the Hapsburg governors and was one of a small number of men from our village that massacred Duke Leopold I's army at Morgaten (1315). My mother (Katrinia) was taken by the plague in one of it's rare incursions into Switzerland and my father  (Walter)  was killed fighting against the foreign invaders in the Gugler war (A little family squabble between Coucy the VII from France and the Hapsburgs). After that I was sent to my uncle Ottos who passed me on to his friend the abbot when I was just five. Lets just say I wasn't cut out for monastical life and spent the rest of my youth working on Ottos farm.
In 1386 the Hapsburgs tried to regain the lands they claimed as theirs, This time lead by Duke Leopold III. I was part of the force that met the invaders at Hieldesrieden and once more the flower of Austrian chivalry as well as the duke were buried on Swiss soil.
After that I continued working on my uncles farm and eventually one of my own. Farming is boring and with little profit margin so when an offer came from Italy looking for men to go to Venice, jumped at the chance met a beautiful young lady there and worked out an "arrangement" with her family. This marriage has blessed me with two wonderful children.
I am also the Knights Marshal for the Barony of Namron Which is the office that coordinates the heavy fighting activities. I am also a Member of the Order of the Heart of the Sable Storm ( Baronial senior Service Award) and am also responsible for providing a majority of the Beltain Maypoles.

Other interests:
Period Agricultural Implements and Techniques
Period wood framing
Ax work ( Felling and hewing)
Heavy fighting ( specialties Spear and Pole weapons)
Monastical Life and Learning

In service
 Wilhelm von Winkleried
Knights Marshal Barony of Namron