[Namron] Newcomers

Matthias the Brewer matthiasthebrewer at cox.net
Mon Dec 6 18:01:16 PST 2004

The one thing I think helped me through my "newbie" period, was my
shamelessness and my lack of fear to ask questions.  I DID have a friend to
hold my hand for a couple of events and populace meetings.  But I don't
think very many of you will remember me being quiet for long.  I KNOW I
didn't talk to the Hospitlar for more than 30 seconds.

I talked to a newbie couple this weekend.  I think the best advise I gave
them was "Don't be shy!!!"  Now most people aren't quite like me (and I'm
sure most of you will rejoice in that statement).  But I've found that
anyone asking questions tends to get more than they can handle.

However, I am a strong advocate of the Mentoring system currently being
developed by the Hospitlars (Namron and Skargard).  I even am continuing to
try and convince said Hospitlars to use different Mentors at different
events.  This is to expose the newbies to different approaches, attitudes,
skills, party style, etc.  I somehow doubt that many people would be 100%
comfortable with the Brotherhood of Brewers, Vintners, and Mazers (which I
think could easily be the largest collection of attitudes in the Barony).
But I think most people would be able to talk and hang out with us for a
weekend.  For the majority, a new approach or group (often started with
screaming and running from the Guild camp area) would just expand their
experiences.  This mentoring would also be a great way to meet people.

I think there is a JOINT obligation here.  The new players HAVE to take a
step forward and meet us half way.  And at the same time, we HAVE to meet
them half way.  This mentoring system is the best way I can think of to
introduce new players into the SCA.  But the best program is worthless,
unless someone signs up to participate in it.

Let's develop this mentoring system.  And THEN, let's make sure we REALLY
push the program.  Not just mention it as an afterthought.  Let's push it
and present it with enthusiasm at EVERY Pop meeting.  At every event.  At
court.  Heck, we could tatoo it across the Seneschal's forehead!!!

But we really need to take a step forward, and hope the new players take the
same step towards us.

Matthias the Longwinded